Cawnpore Club was founded in the year 1890 by the senior most authorities of Kanpur Including the top ranking Military officer and Leading elites of the City.
The Club was incorporated on 18th March 1898 under the Indian Companies Act-VI of 1882 and the company was limited by guarantee. Entire Building and land of Cawnpore Club was purchased by its founder member Mr. W.B.Wishart in a court auction by registered sale deed No.106. dt. 16-10-1897.
The Club building was constructed in the year 1833 and it was known as the Station Library. Later it was converted into Cawnpore Club by British Army officers for their recreation & leisure.
Indians were not permitted to enter in the cantt. area that time. British government had awarded ‘SIR’ title to three most prominent Indians of Kanpur, they were Sir Padampat Singhania, Sir J. P. Srivastava and Sir Har Govind Mishra who were member of this club.
Club is situated in cantonment and is spread over 22 acres of land and club membership comprises of elites of the city, Army, Air Force & Navy Serving / retired commissioned officers, the club was planned and developed as a prestigious forum of civilian elites and military officials.
The general committee created for the management and control of the club, has seven civilians and two seats reserved for the nominee of high officials of Military & Air Force. Memorandum & Article of Association was formed on 5th March 1898 with the help of the following founder member.
- Col. Lorne Campbell
- Col. P.Beddeley
- Mr. A.N. Trethewy
- Mr. C. Moberly
- Capt. J.W. Vanderzee
- Mr. W.B.Wishart
Cawnpore Club encompasses an area of 22 acres with sprawling 10 Lawns, Swimming Pool, Squash Courts, Air Conditioned Bar Room, A.C. Card Room, A.C. Family grill Room, A.C. Billiards Room, A.C. Children Video Game Room, Two A.C. Dining Room, A.C. Party Room, A.C. Suites, Tennis Courts, Dance Hall, A.C. Coffee Lounge, Beautiful Lobby, new facility Cavalry Lounge, SPA, Party Hall in Akbar Lawn, Two Parking Area and a well equipped Library with rare collection and a well equipped kitchen, A beautiful parking area for 200 Cars is well lighted.
Cawnpore Club also has distinction of being among top 100 elite clubs of India, it is one of the premier Club in U.P. and has affiliation with 111 exclusive club of India. Membership strength of the club is 2400 inclusive of Officers & High Dignitaries.